Sunday, February 26, 2012

Jackfruit

Jackfruit



This go around, I cover jackfruit. Now, prior to this sampling, I didn't even know what the heck a jackfruit was or what it looked like.

The Attraction
I was in an Asian grocery store when the gf picked it up and started looking at it because she hadn't had any since she left Taiwan several years ago.Next thing I know, an older Indian gentleman started telling me how tasty it was. When I asked my gf what she thought of it, she gave it the ringing endorsement of " it's not bad". How could I refuse after a declaration like that...

Review
The picture above is one I found online and I had to use it because the jackfruit itself was sold in cross sections. I can understand why because it was going for about $4.29 a pound. I decided to hedge my bets and get the smallest piece I can find.


At first, the spikey-green exterior and the fruit bearing interior reminded me of a durian (another fruit found commonly in Asia). Thankfully there wasn't a smell like one.


Seems like the good parts you eat are the parts that look like bulbs with a pit on the inside. Peeling these "bulbs" from their sometimes "gluey" homes, took a little effort. Another thing I noticed when I pulled the fruit out, is that is was slightly "foamy" feeling in texture. Think like a piece of dehydrated apple ring that you might buy at the store. I'm not sure if that's just because I had an older jackfruit or if it's naturally that way.

First bite: The dehydrated apple ring texture analogy also translated to when you bit into it. It had the same type of feel. Flavor-wise, it had a sort of banana mixed with a little apple flavor to it. As I continued to eat it, I found myself wanted to try more because the flavor and texture combination was so foreign to me.

The Sweet
I enjoyed the flavor and texture of the jackfruit. It's also a healthy snack option.

The Bitter
At $4.29 a pound, this won't be at the top of my "snack" list, although if you think about it, many snacks lining the supermarket shelves aren't much cheaper. In addition, the availability of it also makes it a less likely to find treat.

If you are looking for a healthy snack option and are ok with the flavor of banana, but are tired of going to the "old stand by" fruits, you should give jackfruit a try.I know I would again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!