Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mint Moon Pie Crunch


On a recent road trip, I was excited to see signs for a Cracker Barrel along the highway. For me, the thrill of Cracker Barrels aren't the actual food they serve in there; it's the waiting area where they have hard to find assorted candies and snacks, so it was only natural that I pay it a visit. Upon my entry into the waiting area, I laid my eyes on this baby and knew I had to try it. Now, I have to disclose that about a year ago went on a mini Moon Pie binge and tried the Chocolate, Vanilla and Banana flavored pies when I came across a local deli that sold all three flavors, so it felt like "my density" (a la George McFly) to try this new variation of the Moon Pie line of products.

The Attraction
As a fan of Moon Pies, it was natural that I give this a go. 

Review
I am normally not a fan of mint, but because I loved Moon Pies so much, I was willing to look past the mint flavor to give this item a try. One of the things that struck me was how the packaging was different from the other "normal" Moon Pies. This was a two pack and the pies themselves were smaller.

Upon opening the package and sliding out a pie, I realized that this mint pie was much firmer than the pies I had sampled previously. Honestly, I could hardly wait to take a bite into it. (therefore the fuzzy picture)



My initial bite was surprising in every way possible, unfortunately, not in a good way. The first thought that occurred to me was how the "tops" and the "bottoms" of the pies were not soft like the larger pies; they were more like thin chocolate wafers. In fact, it wasn't until I was prepping this entry that I realized that the wrapper itself says "crunch" on it. The next thing was the mint filling itself. It wasn't the fluffy marshmallow-like texture that I knew and loved in the traditional pies. This filling was pasty.Think more like the filling of a York Peppermint Patty. I finished the rest of the pie in part because I couldn't believe how much I didn't like it.

The Sweet
The Moon Pie company continues to try to expand their product lines.

The Bitter
From the uncharacteristic crunchy outside to the disappointing filling, it's hard to find anything I did like about this snack.

What I came to love about the Moon Pie products were the soft flavored shells that enveloped the fluffy marshmallow filling inside, so for me, this snack was extremely disappointing. This item bared no resemblance to that winning combination. Unless you love York Peppermint Patties, but wish it had a crunchy wafer shell, I would skip this snack and save the calories on something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!