Sunday, August 9, 2015

Lay's Gyro Flavored Chips

Cut that Zero, get with this gyro (yeero) 
The Attraction:
Prior to departing to Europe, I grabbed a bag of these at the office and munched down. It was fate as I was going to settle with some gummy bears, but saw this as I hopped in line at the front of the store. As much as I adore gummy bears, it wasn't too hard of a choice with something as new and hopefully interesting as this.

The Review
Lay's has recently launched a flavor campaign for the year that asks the common consumer to vote for their new favorite flavor. There are 4 new and interesting choices to choose from: Truffle Fries, Chicken and Biscuits, Reuben and last, but not least, Gyro flavored. This isn't anything new for Lay's as this marks the 3rd year in a row that Lay's has done such a campaign. Some say it's just a marketing ploy and I might be inclined to agree with them as seemingly the winning flavors in past years aren't readily available now, but with that understood, it's still a fun and interesting ploy nevertheless. Maybe I'm just a sucker for limited edition flavors...

I tear open the bag and I take a deep whiff. Sure enough, there is a slight smell of gyro coming out of there. I take my first bite and my taste buds and mind go racing to see if these chips can come close to recreating the flavor of a gyro. It's not until towards the end of the bite that I catch the dill flavor of the chip that is to be the proxy of the customary tzatziki sauce that any respectable gyro lover will have on their "sandwich". "Hmm, I think I missed something. I'll have a few more chips." I think to myself. Sure enough, the more chips I had, the more reminiscent it was of a gyro, but did it make me feel like I was grabbing a gyro at my favorite local Greek joint?

If I darkened this, I bet I could make
this look like pieces of gyro meat

Whoa, I got game!
(minus slacking on selecting only the chips to adjust the color)
The Sweet:
Nicely kettle-crisp chips, with the general flavor of a gyro.

The Bitter:
"General" is being kind. These chips are probably closer to "tzatziki" flavored chips.

Are those specks of dill I see?
Conclusion:
Sometimes it can be difficult to emulate any flavor of a "meat" product in something that doesn't contain meat because the feeling of eating meat is more than just the flavor itself; it's also a textural experience. Ask anyone that has tried to go vegetarian for a brief stint. Generally speaking, it's tricky to create a product that promises to deliver a meat-like experience, without the protein itself. Usually it just ends up tasting like a product that has all the seasoning you would apply to it, with a huge missing component. Unfortunately, Lay's Gyro flavored chips falls into this category.

Video Pict of the Week
In lieu of posting a video this week (cause I couldn't find anything I loved), I will post a sneak peak of some of the items I grabbed in Europe, mainly from Italy. Brace yourself for some reviews soon of these items!

"Well, maybe I'll see my abs next year"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!